Saturday, May 7, 2011

LIS 6303: Reflection on my first semester as an MLIS student

I should tell everyone that this was my first semester in the MLIS. I really enjoyed most of the course work and much of what I have learned. However, I am beginning to see much overlap in my studies between the types of assignments and the content that I will be studying.

What has suddenly gotten to me is that I feel like I need the actual experience for these exercises. I need MORE exercise, and it needs to be of value to some entity (a school or library). The tools I have learned about in this course are very powerful, but often used for entertainment. Because they can be used to deliver academic content it is easy to design relevant material. Unfortunately, I have a little trouble with the idea that learning MUST be equivalent to entertainment to get the attention of the students/patrons of today (CNN Effect, Neil Postman both come to mind).

Now, I feel like the horse on the racetrack starting line and I want to jump the gun. On that note, I am wanting to run with what I have gotten from my four classes this term, because I feel that left to my own devices in a professional settings I could further develop these skills AND do something useful with the tools I have learned about and the research/resource practices I have experienced. Realistically, I know four classes make not a librarian/information specialist. I know there is more to learn.

I hope to put these things to good use in a part-time position I have accepted for this summer. Many thanks to my professors this semester.

2 comments:

  1. I would agree with you. It IS nice to be able to put things into practice, saying this as a second year elementary media specialist. I can't begin to tell you how nice it was to make a policies and procedures manual in one of my courses that I could actually put into use right away. On the other hand, it's amazing how little I've been able to apply (social media)due either to time constraints or blocks on our county website. I initially didn't think our county should require 18 hours of Masters' work. I've now finished those hours and realize I still have so much to learn!So I'm going all the way for my MLIS! Yes, some experience will come with work. But I'm basking in the wisdom of the profs & librarians I've met right now, and enjoying it. I am so amazed with the knowledge and experience everyone has had both at USF and at libraries we've visited. I've now visited a total of NINE in my courses, and just found out I'll be visiting another one in my summer course. Enjoy your new job!! :-) sher

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Scarlett above-
    Thanks! I visited six formally, for one class projects, but I have been taking the opportunity to talk to library folks along the way.

    Good for you to decide to go all the way with the MLIS... professional development!

    Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete